We're working on a brand new Dropbox Wiki with better features and ease of access! Find out more.
From Dropbox Wiki
NOTICE: This page has been moved to http://www.zibity.com/macdropupdate. Please update your links and bookmarks.
Official Site: http://www.zibity.com/macdropupdate
MacDropUpdate 2 is an automatic updater for Mac OS X that can automatically download, install and update your Dropbox to the latest forum build of Dropbox. It is compatible with Mac OS X Leopard, Snow Leopard, and is ready for Lion.
This application is created, developed and maintained by Sebastian H, and is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported license.
- After un-zipping the download, you need to move MacDropUpdate 2 to your applications folder.
- To install MacDropUpdate 2, simply run it once by double clicking on its icon in your applications folder.
Once you have installed MacDropUpdate 2, it will run automatically every 6 hours. You can also, if you want to, check for new versions of Dropbox whenever you want by simply launching MacDropUpdate 2.
You can tell if MacDropUpdate 2 has run by looking at its Growl notifications (which can be turned off in the Growl preferences, if you so desire), and by looking at the log file, which, by default, is located at "~/Library/Logs/MacDropUpdate.txt".
Tips and Tricks
- You can manually make the updater run by simply launching the application from your Applications folder.
- You can programatically find the time that MacDropUpdate 2 last run by running the Terminal command "defaults read com.zibity.macdropupdate2 lastrun". This can be useful for Geektool.
- You can set a custom location for the log file by running the Terminal command "defaults write com.zibity.macdropupdate2 loglocation [YOUR LOCATION HERE]". If the log locations contains spaces, they must be escaped using a \ (backslash), and the log location must end in .txt.
Warning and Disclaimers
- This application requires an internet connection to work.
- MacDropUpdate 2 will run best if you have Growl installed, however it will run fine without it installed.
- This application is provided "as is". I make no warranty that it will function or continue to function as time goes on. If something goes wrong with your computer, with your Dropbox account, with your files or with your mind as either a direct or indirect result of using this application, it is not my fault and I claim no responsibility for anything, at all, ever. That said, everything should work just fine.
When updating to a new version of MacDropUpdate 2, unless specifically noted, you just have to replace the old version of MacDropUpdate 2 with the new version. MacDropUpdate 2 includes an automatic self updater that runs whenever MacDropUpdate 2 is run, so you will always be kept up to date.
- 2.0.7 released on 2 December 2011. Will now re-register with Growl if the growl ticket is deleted.
- 2.0.6 released on 11 October 2011. Works with Growl 1.3 now. Is now a UIElement, so it no longer shows in the dock, and no longer steals focus when you're using a full screen app.
- 2.0.5 released on 25 September 2011. Changes "lastrun" output format to be the default user preference (either DD/MM/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY). Fixes incorrect update messages for users using MM/DD/YYYY date formats. Attempts to solve unresolved issues with users who don't have Growl installed (this issue). Updates the first run dialog to have a link to the new wiki.
- 2.0.4 released on 10 September 2011. Minor update that allows you to run MacDropUpdate 2 without having to have Growl installed by using dialog boxes with timeouts. If Growl is installed it will be used, but if it is not, dialog boxes will be used.
- 2.0.3 released on 4 September 2011. Important update that uses a new method to discover the URL of the Dropbox download. This update is required to ensure continued functionality.
- 2.0.2 released on 12 July 2011. Minor update that fixes a few tiny bugs, and finally preps MacDropUpdate for Lion.
- 2.0.1 released on 1 July 2011. Minor update that squishes bugs, and will ask you for a voluntary donation to the development of MacDropUpdate 2. This donation message can be ignored with no impediment on functionality, though I'd love it if you did donate.
- 2.0 released on 18 June 2011. This update has many, many, many changes over the previous version.
For older versions of MacDropUpdate, look at the old versions page.
Starting with version 1.4.1, MacDropUpdate collects anonymous statistics every time it runs. You can view the collected statistics for version 1 at bit.ly/eHtFtm+. For statistics for version 2, please visit bit.ly/k1faJk+
For support, help, and to suggest improvements please see the Forum Thread on MacDropUpdate.
A special thanks goes to the fantastic beta testers of MacDropUpdate 2: Phil, Andrew, Chris, Tom and T.Hightower. Their support, feedback, suggestions, and attitude has been elemental to version 2. Thank you guys!
If you would like to make a donation, I would be most appreciative: Donate via Paypal